The Change.…….this phrase is somewhat frightening! Especially for women who don’t understand exactly what could and will happen to them. You’ve heard the horror stories your mother and grandmothers have told you. Now you are over 40 and thinking that this dramatic event could be just around the corner! What can you do!?
Learn more and be prepared!
So let’s call it what it is – The Change is menopause. That word doesn’t really seem as intimidating does it? Let’s learn what it all means and how we can treat it the natural way.
Menopause is that natural time in a woman’s life when she becomes permanently infertile. Everyone is different, every woman’s body sings a different tune, so this can happen at any time as you age. Most women begin the process in their 40s but some have even experienced it during their 30s. The rule of thumb is this: once you have gone 12 consecutive months without a menstrual cycle, you are considered to be menopausal.
Some of you may have heard the term perimenopause. What does this mean and how does it relate to menopause? Perimenopause means in literal terms “around menopause”. This is the time when the woman’s body begins the natural transition into menopause. Our estrogen levels drop and rise during this time and all sorts of symptoms can manifest themselves. Some women believe The Change is starting when these symptoms begin, but in fact, it is just the warm up period! Remember the rule of thumb: 12 consecutive months. Until then, everything can be a mystery.
When the perimenopausal time begins, there are a variety of things a woman’s body will go through. Hot flashes, mood swings, sleep disorders, intense fatigue, mental fog, breast tenderness, dizziness – these are just a few! And many of these symptoms can be confused with pregnancy. When any of these begin to manifest, talk to your doctor right away.
Now that you have learned more about menopause, let’s talk about how to treat your symptoms naturally.
I’ll start with essential oils, since that’s my thing! Essential oils can help to support the transition into menopause naturally and effectively. Let’s look at the oils that are most effective to support your hormones and provide relief from cramps, hot flashes and mood swings.
- Peppermint is a must-have to temporarily relieve hot flashes. Apply to the back of your neck when needed or mix with distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Clary Sage helps to balance hormones and soothes nervous tension. Apply to your forearms and ankles in the morning and evening.
- Cypress can help to ease muscle tension. Apply where needed.
- Lavender is calming and soothing during mood swings. Apply to your temples or to the bottoms of your feet at night for a more restful sleep.
- Fennel supports the digestive system and can ease the monthly cycles as you are transitioning. Use topically or internally as needed.
- The Women’s Monthly Blend is a specially formulated oil blend to balance hormones. Apply to the bottoms of feet morning and evening.
- The Grounding Blend provides a sense of calm and well-being and promotes an overall sense of relaxation throughout the body. Apply as needed and in the morning and evening to the bottoms of your feet.
Essential supplementation is also an important natural solution for menopause.
The Bone Nutrient Complex is formulated to provide optimal levels of vitamins and minerals essential for developing and maintaining healthy bone mass and density. It contains 100% of the recommended daily amounts of calcium and magnesium and supports healthy bones and overall health throughout a woman’s lifetime . The Complex also contains vitamin D2 and D3 to help bones absorb calcium.
The Phytoestrogen Lifetime Complex provides important support for a woman’s changing estrogen and hormone levels. It provides supplemental dietary phytoestrogens that help balance and support normal hormone levels throughout a woman’s life. It is easy to use to complement a program of eating right, exercising, and hormone therapy to help minimize the uncomfortable symptoms of PMS and transition through menopause. The Complex supports healthy bones, heart, breast tissue and other body structures and functions as a woman ages and includes a potent soy extract standardized to 64 percent isoflavone content with a minimum of 50 percent genistein, scientifically substantiated to provide health benefits in women. It contains a flax seed extract standardized to 40% lignans, which are helpful in maintaining healthy hormonal balance. Finally, it is formulated with a standardized pomegranate extract to promote healthy hormonal balance and provide powerful antioxidant support.
Want to try a sample? Click here!
Herbs for Menopause
Herbal remedies are also a great way to support your body through menopause. Here are a few of the best ones to use:
- Black Cohosh
- St. John’s Wort
- Dong Quai
- Evening Primrose
- Valerian Root
5 Steps for Natural Relief for Menopause
- Ease your symptoms with optimal nutrition
- Try herbal remedies such as the ones listed above as adaptogens for your hormones
- Find exercise that makes you happy! This will help reduce fat and help with estrogen and progesterone levels
- Take the steps you need to reduce your stress. Get a massage!
- Understand that emotions play a vital role in our health. I recently posted about emotions and essential oils – click here to read!
These 5 steps have been suggested by Marcelle Pick, OB-GYN, NP. Read the whole article here.
The Change is not a bad thing, but it is inevitable! Arm yourself with the knowledge to use natural solutions to get you through!
I hope this post has helped many of you. I am personally in the beginning stages of perimenopause and I am glad to help in any way I can! Contact me anytime!