Yesterday we learned some of the reasons why our common meal patterns can lead to a less than nutritious diet. ‘
Today we will look at ways to improve those patterns and stick to our goals.
It is not as hard as you would think to change the patterns we have when we eat. Follow these simple steps and you can achieve a healthier diet faster and easier!
- Improve your workout and post-workout nutrition. Many of us work out regularly yet we do not eat healthy. Eating right and exercising daily go hand-in-hand for a healthy lifestyle. Make a Super Shake or a protein-carb drink with you to the gym or have it before or after your workout. Make sure you reward yourself – reserve the high carb and starch dinner for after your session.
- Eat a better breakfast every day. Here I go again with the breakfast! Make sure you make the time to eat right every morning and include protein, healthy fats and some veggies. Egg white omelets are a great example. Never skip breakfast!!
- Add good fats to your meal. As we discussed in the Fat Lesson, add olive oil whenever possible and supplement with Fish Oil.
- Pack a better lunch. No more sandwiches with processed white bread. And no more fast food! Make and take a good meal with lean protein, healthy fats and veggies. Chicken or tuna salad is easy to make and much better for you than a typical sandwich.
- Make yourself a great dinner. This is your best bet to make a tasty and healthy meal. It is generally the only meal we make time to cook, so make the best of it!
- Eat more veggies and fruits. We learned in the Fruit and Veggie Lesson how important and beneficial these foods are. None of us eat enough veggies. Even I admit I don’t! And I am not sure I have met anyone who does. When you start to add more, you will notice a change in your health. Your fitness performance and body composition will also improve. Fruit is a great way to add sweet to your diet without all the processed, dangerous sugars.
- Finally, eat good snacks between the three traditional meals. Our goal is not just three meals a day. You need to eat at least 5-6 times daily as we learned in the 5 Habits. Snacks need to be quick and portable and they should also include quality protein, fats, veggies and fruits. In fact, making fruits and veggies our go-to snack is the best way to increase our intake.
The important thing to remember is to eat well and eat often. Eat every 2-3 hours for a total of 6 or more meals per day. This will sustain your energy, ensure that you are getting the proper intake of nutrients and will overall improve health.
Tomorrow we will cover some sample “bad” meal plans and counter them with some great ideas for the good meals!