As you navigate the grocery store on your search for healthy foods, you may need a little help finding some of the Superfoods that you are looking for. For some of us, these Superfoods are a new concept, so finding them may be a challenge.
Learn to look for the more nontraditional items in the store.
These items include heathy oils, seeds, grains and oats.
This may be easier if you shop a whole foods or organic grocery store. Although these stores are becoming more affordable, they may not be in your budget right now. I have found that my local Kroger store actually has an excellent organic food section where some of the Superfoods can be easily found. This may be a good trend!
Here are a few of the foods you may have trouble locating. I am listing them here with their benefits because they are important! Don’t give up trying to find them!
- Flax seeds are rich in micronutrients and dietary fiber. They also contain healthy amounts of Vitamin B1 and Omega-3
- Whole oats are a very heart healthy food. Adding them to your diet can lower your cholesterol and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. They also help to stabilize blood sugar and can reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Olive oil is a staple in the Mediterranean diet. It is high in monosaturated fats (the good stuff) and can reduce the risk of heart disease. Cardiovascular disease, strokes and high blood pressure are less prominent in the Mediterranean countries when compared to Western diets.
- Fish Oil is also heart healthy and is loaded with important Omega-3s.
- Whole grains are high in fiber and contain the important vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate as well as the minerals iron, magnesium and selenium.
Don’t lose sight of these foods in your quest! Once you have mastered the Grocery shopping pathway, they will be much easier to find. Learn to recognize the best selections possible.
If you would like more information about Omega-3s and key vitamins and minerals, click here.
Tomorrow we will learn about reading nutritional labels. This will also help you in finding just the right healthy foods you need.